Stryd ConnectIQ data not working with GOTOES

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Stryd ConnectIQ data not working with GOTOES

Post by fulmar2 »

UPDATED May 9, 2024:

Today I released an update to work-around files with poorly formatted Developer Data (Connect IQ data). In particular, this applies to data coming from the Stryd App, but may apply to other nascent developers as well. GOTOES now tries to be less strict about how the data is formatted when attempting to merge your ConnectIQ data fields. Please give the new tool a try (the update came out with release 26.5).

Feel free to send me files with Connect IQ data for testing. I don't own any of these accessories, so I depend on my users to provide test files for improving the tool. Thanks!

---------------------------Original Post below for historical purposes---------------------------

Hey Guys - I know that only a small number of you use Stryd, but I have received 2 correspondences saying that Stryd data is missing after checking the option on GOTOES to include "ConnectIQ" data. Of those 2 people, I received one file where sure-enough, they are correct.

I looked at the original file from Stryd, and it seems that several important fields are absent. For example, the "developer data id" field is blank. This is the field that Garmin uses to identify the manufacturer of the app that is adding ConnectIQ fields. We could live without the "developer data id" field for Stryd, I suppose, because the assumption is that these users are only uploading their files to Stryd. If you upload a file with a blank "developer data id" field to Garmin, it still works, but the icon of the device is missing - when it should show the registered app/device that was used for the activity.

The issue that is more concerning is that Stryd doesn't seem to be putting in the correct "native message number" either. The "message number" has to do with what type of message the device is recording. The messages we are most interested in are Message 20 - these are called "records" and they represent anything that you can graph out. For example, your speed, power, cadence are all "records" (Message #20)... because they have a timeline so to speak. Other messages that aren't on timelines can be something like "average speed" or "maximum speed" - both of these have just one single value for the entire activity. In this file I received, Stryd left the "native message number" blank for several of the fields, and inserted the wrong message number for two others.

Example of what you will see in GOTOES - comparison of a properly formatted file (Garmin getting the data from a Stryd device).... and improperly formatted file (the data coming directly from the Stryd app).
Example of what you will see in GOTOES - comparison of a properly formatted file (Garmin getting the data from a Stryd device).... and improperly formatted file (the data coming directly from the Stryd app).

On one hand, I could write a work-around for this one specific file, but that doesn't seem prudent until I figure out if this is the case for all Stryd files. What I think is happening is that these improperly formatted files are coming from the "Stryd App". I think that if you have Stryd as a ConnectIQ field on your Garmin, the files are probably formatted correctly. At this point, though, I don't know where the issue lies because I only have one bad Stryd file - and I don't know where it came from. I plan to reach out to Stryd to see if they will fix this before I go and try to write a work-around. Meanwhile, if you're a Stryd user, please send me your files with EXPLICIT detail of how the file is produced (which device) and how you retrieve the file.

You can use a free tool called fitfileviewer to look inside your Stryd file to see if it is correctly formatted.

First, here is an improperly formatted Stryd File. Notice how the "application_id" is 0,0,0,0,..... We need the Application ID to tell Garmin Connect which vendor is providing the data:
Example of an IMPROPERLY formatted Stryd File
Example of an IMPROPERLY formatted Stryd File
Example of a CORRECTLY formatted Stryd File
Example of a CORRECTLY formatted Stryd File