GPS name on Strava does not match GPS name that I specified

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
GotoesUser

GPS name on Strava does not match GPS name that I specified

Post by GotoesUser »

Hi, Thanks for the tool. It works great. Just a heads up about a possible bug. I selected 'Garmin Forerunner 645 Music' from the 'GPS Type in Output File' drop down box. Selected file output is GPX. Strava thinks that the selected GPS type is 'Garmin Forerunner 45' Cheers.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: GPS name on Strava does not match GPS name that I specified

Post by fulmar2 »

Yeah, Strava seems to be simplifying their database of GPS types. I think they are doing it because it is difficult to maintain such a large database, but not really sure. Moreover, because of the way they did it, it looks like they have to maintain two separate databases - one for TCX and GPX files, and one for FIT files. FIT files encode the GPS name differently. For example, in aTCX or GPX file, I send the following:

"Wahoo Elemnt Roam"

They interpret it as "Wahoo Elemnt"

With FIT, however, I can send them: MFR ID: 32 and PRODUCT ID: 37.

They correctly interpret 32/37 as "Wahoo Elemnt Roam".

So, in the short term, please export your files in the FIT format if you want the GPS name to show correctly on Strava. If you really want them to fix the GPX / TCX issue, you will need to write to them... however this used to work as expected, so I think that they have simply "dumbed down" their database to make it simpler for them to maintain as more and more GPS types appear on the market. Sorry about that. Send them a help request if you have time and maybe they will fix it.