How to Double the Power from your Left (or Right) Sided Power Pedals

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

How to Double the Power from your Left (or Right) Sided Power Pedals

Post by fulmar2 »

I have a pair of Assioma Duo Power Pedals, and I wanted to see if I could perhaps use the pedals on the tandem so my wife and I could BOTH have our own power data. It turns out that I can do this easily using the GOTOES | Strava Tools. Here is how you can do that (or otherwise fix your Strava Power Data).

Materials Needed:
  • 2 Garmin GPS units - one for you and one for your partner.
    Assioma Duo Power Pedals (or any pedal that has two separate Bluetooth Channels).
Step 1: If you have the Assioma Duo Power Pedals, your first job is to separate them. You can do that in the App.

Click on "Settings" (at the bottom of the screen).  Then click on "Compatibility with other apps".
Click on "Settings" (at the bottom of the screen). Then click on "Compatibility with other apps".

On the next page, select "Dual Channel L/R".  This will make your power pedals each broadcast their own power on separate Bluetooth Channels.
On the next page, select "Dual Channel L/R". This will make your power pedals each broadcast their own power on separate Bluetooth Channels.

Step 2: Now you need to setup your receiving devices. These steps will depend on which device you own. I will explain how to set it up on a Garmin 830

On the Garmin 830:
Go to Settings (three horizontal bars on the bottom of your main screen) -> Sensors -> Add Sensor -> Search All.
*Note that you want to do "Search All" and not "Power"

Make Sure you have Bluetooth turned on in your Edge 830. You will now need to WAIT for your device to find the Pedals. Because the pedals broadcast on multiple channels, you may just see "Power" first.... keep waiting until you see Bluetooth Options as shown in the 2nd screen shot below. Don't just choose the first "Power" option that you see. Instead choose "Show More":

Select "Show More"
Select "Show More"
17791.png (7.74 KiB) Viewed 12322 times

After you select "Show More" select "Show Bluetooth Sensors":

Next, click on "Show Bluetooth Sensors"
Next, click on "Show Bluetooth Sensors"
17797.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 12321 times

You may have to wait, but eventually you will see TWO power options; one for each pedal:

After a bit of a wait, you should eventually see two new Bluetooth devices.  Each one of these corresponds to a pedal.  Choose ONE of them to add.  Remember the name because you are going to add the other pedal to your other device.
After a bit of a wait, you should eventually see two new Bluetooth devices. Each one of these corresponds to a pedal. Choose ONE of them to add. Remember the name because you are going to add the other pedal to your other device.
17802.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 12321 times

Connect ONE of these to your GPS. You will want to repeat the same set of steps for your partners GPS - but be sure to select the OTHER pedal. You can then do a test with each pedal on your tandem to make sure you know which pedal is connected to which GPS.

During your activity, the GPS will only record 1/2 the power (because each pedal is only recording half of your effort). After your ride, import your files into the GOTOES | Strava Tools and select the "Adjust Power" option (this is in the bottom right hand corner of the "Overriding Data" box). Type "100" in the box. This will increase your power by 100%, which is double. You can do this for your activity as well as your partners. This will allow you to record power data on your tandem with just one set of pedals.
Double the power for your left / right side pedal.
Double the power for your left / right side pedal.