Increase Speed by Percentage?

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Add Time Stamps to FIT, TCX, or GPX Files Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Increase Speed by Percentage?

Post by fulmar2 »

I recently received the following correspondence:
Hello! I enjoy using your tool very much as it is by far the best GPX editor on the market. There’s a feature I like to suggest and that is the modification of speed in percentage. Currently you can write the desired average speed but it will affect the whole file, like it will include speed where there wasn’t any before, that makes for an unrealistic speed curve which is only flat. I like to suggest the speed override to be increased with percentage, same way as the power data override. User would enter a number and it will increase the speed by percent, so places where the user don’t have power or lower power would remain. Thanks for reading my message and hopefully that’s a feature you can implement. So far I don’t see any software or any people mentioning this idea so you can be the first to try. Thanks a lot.

I want to address this email in the FAQs because it is important to be transparent about the purpose of the time stamp tool, and how it works. Here is my reply to the inquiry:

There used to be a tool that did this. It was called “Strava Epo”. The epo was a reference to the erythropoietin drug that cyclists used to cheat. It was kind of a joke, but basically, people were using this tool to cheat. That tool was banned by Strava and it disappeared.

My tool intentionally leaves signature traces in the speed to reveal that it was fabricated speed. The purpose of this is so that people do NOT use the tool to cheat. Instead, the intended audience of the tool is people who have lost portions of their ride due to GPS failure. They want to get “credit” for having completed the mileage… but don’t care about any segment achievements. I always encourage people to put a slower-than-realistic speed when using this tool. That way, they can get their mileage without affecting the leaderboards. It’s only fair that way.

My tool interacts with Strava, and I do not want for it to be banned. Therefore, I try to give people as much flexibility in repairing honest tracks as possible - without making it easy for them to cheat in an undetectable way.
For more details on this topic, please see this thread.