ConnectIQ fields not showing on Merge

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

ConnectIQ fields not showing on Merge

Post by fulmar2 »

Hi guys - I occasionally get questions about Connect IQ fields and I wanted to address some solutions to these issues.

First note: ConnectIQ fields are GARMIN SPECIFIC fields. The developers of the 3rd party apps need to register their apps with Garmin and receive an "application_id" as well as provide Garmin with "field_definition_number"(s). Once the developer has registered their app with Garmin, the "application_id" tells Garmin which developer this data is coming from (for example, Moxy looks like this: "174,249,34,225,156,253,76,159,165,60,214,94,30,92,211,30"). The "field_definition_number" tells Garmin the name of the field and how the data is scaled for graphing (I think - I'm just learning this from my users' submissions).

There are a couple problems I have witnessed:

Problem 1: GOTOES tool cannot read the data

Usually the cause for this issue is because you recorded with a non-Garmin device. For example, if you have a Stryd sensor on your shoe, paired with a phone, the FIT file is recorded differently than if you have the Stryd sensor sending data to a Garmin device. Notably, if you pair with the app, the application_id seems to be coming through as "0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"... when it should look something like this: "174,249,34,225,156,253,76,159,165,60,214,94,30,92,211,30". The reason this is a problem is because when you send the resulting file to Garmin, they have no idea "who" it came from... and because of that, they cannot pair up the resulting "field_definition_number"(s) with the data in the file. As such, the data is not displayed. If you think this is the problem you are having, here is a deeply detailed discussion of this issue.

If you try to insert ConnectIQ data from a file that is missing this information, my tool will warn you with an error message. I did try and write a work-around so that the data will at least show on the original developer's tools... but no guarantees that it will work - and it almost certainly won't work on Garmin Connect.

Problem 2: GOTOES could read data, but it is not showing on Garmin Connect

It seems like Garmin is a little picky about this. Garmin Connect WILL show the data if you specify in the GOTOES tool that the data is from a Garmin Device. But, if you select a non-Garmin Device, Garmin Connect will not show the ConnectIQ data - even if it is embedded in the file. Please see the two screenshots below for a demonstration:

Uploaded to Garmin Connect as "Garmin Epix Gen2".  Notice how the ConnectIQ fields are correctly displayed after the merge.
Uploaded to Garmin Connect as "Garmin Epix Gen2". Notice how the ConnectIQ fields are correctly displayed after the merge.
Uploaded to Garmin Connect as "Rouvy" (a non-Garmin GPS type).  Notice how the ConnectIQ fields are not displayed after the merge.
Uploaded to Garmin Connect as "Rouvy" (a non-Garmin GPS type). Notice how the ConnectIQ fields are not displayed after the merge.