Combining fit files incorrectly computes overall distance

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
haughtonomous

Combining fit files incorrectly computes overall distance

Post by haughtonomous »

Is this a bug? I often find that when combining two fit files from my Garmin, the individual distances add up to more than the total computed by the GoToes tool.

For example today I recorded a short ride of 0.69 miles on my Garmin, then followed on to record further ride of 18.2 miles. Thus the overall distance is 18.89 miles. However when these are combined by importing the fit files GoToes first shows the individual parts with the correct distances, but then combines them with a total of 18.58 miles! That's a 1.6% error in a simple addition.

Can anyone offer a rational explanation for this?
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Combining fit files incorrectly computes overall distance

Post by fulmar2 »

Hopefully this FAQ answers that question:

viewtopic.php?p=60#p60

Are you exporting as GPX, TCX, or FIT from GOTOES? What platform are you using to view the results (Strava, Garmin Connect, Training Peaks?) I can help you personally if you use the contact form on GOTOES. I think you will get better help from me directly than from forum members.
haughtonomous

Post by haughtonomous »

I'm sticking to the GoToes defaults. I think that means I'm exporting to Strava using GPX. I'll try using TCX, and if that doesn't work I'll contact you as suggested. The FAQ is quite illuminating (and a little bewildering!) but I'll read and digest that first as well.
haughtonomous

Post by haughtonomous »

It seems the trick is to change the export format from the default GPX to TCX. That produces the correct overall distance in Strava.
thanks for the help!