Garmin watch + Wrist-based HR + Chest-Strap HR Data

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
temujim

Garmin watch + Wrist-based HR + Chest-Strap HR Data

Post by temujim »

Hello, I'm trying to merge 2 fit files. However, the time and length of the 2 fit files are not the same.
1 fit file is chest-strap hr data
the other is the GPS running data.

This is a 12-hour running activity, and I started wearing the chest-strap hrm around 20 minutes. Before that, I'd assume the watch was using the wrist-based hr and then started wearing the hr around 20 min mark. After I completed the activity, I noticed that the watch was downloading the HR data from my chest-strap HRM Monitor (Garmin HRM Pro). I noticed the issue when it didn't synced to my garmin connect. I primarily suspected the corrupted HRM data, so I downloaded the fit file, and stripped the HR data. Then I was able upload my activity on strava.

However, there's no HR data. HR Data is quite important for me since I'm tracking my training load and fatigue in preparation for a race. So, I've noticed there's an option in my watch to download the HR data, so I was able to do that. Now I would want to merge the FIT file with stripped HR data, together the 2nd fit file with 2nd HR data only. However, GOToes, is not able to do that, I've tried the merge/repair and timezone/timeshift fixes. GoToes has some problem reading the HR only fit file.

Here are the file files:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/97g99kn9 ... pqip8&dl=0

Appreciate any help provided, thanks a lot!
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Garmin watch + Wrist-based HR + Chest-Strap HR Data

Post by fulmar2 »

GOTOES only can read fit files in the “activity” format. FIT files can contain other types of data, such as body weight, or courses. However, I tried to examine your heart rate file using fitfileviewer.com, and it really does appear to be corrupted.

So, why would the solitary heart rate data from your watch be any different that what you already have?

When you download from the strap, doesn’t the Garmin device automatically apply the HR data to the corresponding activity?

I think this can be achieved, but you’re going to need a heart rate file that is not corrupted.
temujim

Re: Garmin watch + Wrist-based HR + Chest-Strap HR Data

Post by temujim »

Hey, Brian. Appreciate your reply a lot.
So, why would the solitary heart rate data from your watch be any different that what you already have?
My uploaded activity has missing HR data. It did not sync at first to my watch, so I copied the fit file from watch and stripped the data so I can upload it to strava/garmin. The fit file cannot be uploaded with the HR data.
When you download from the strap, doesn’t the Garmin device automatically apply the HR data to the corresponding activity?
It's advertised to be that way. I started wearing my HR strap around 20 mins on my run. I assumed that for the rest of the run about 12hrs, I thought that the HR data on my watch was the chest strap, I only realized that it was still wrist-based when I stopped the activity -- there's a garmin watch screen "Downloading HR Activity" which normally does not happen, which I believe only will happen if there's no real time sync between the watch and the hr strap data.
I think this can be achieved, but you’re going to need a heart rate file that is not corrupted.
Yeah, I'll better start with this, try to see if I can fix this corrupted hr data. Thanks for you replay fu