Garmin Upload - Training Effect & Benefit does not work

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
DanMan204

Garmin Upload - Training Effect & Benefit does not work

Post by DanMan204 »

Hi,

when I try to upload a FIT file to that I edited in GOTOES to GARMIN CONNECT, all values are accepted in GARMIN CONNECT except the following:
- Anaerob Training Effect
- Aerob Training Effect
- Exercise Load / Benefit

I already checked that my Garmin Device (FR945), Serial Number and Software Version (13.00) are included, which is the case.
I also do see these values and my watch in GARMIN CONNECT, but it still does not take over the 3 values from GOTOES.
Instead of that, it keeps the original values.

I noticed that the Software Sersion in the GOTOES FIT file is always set to 13.01 instead of 13.00.
So if I put in Software Version 13.00 / 12.00 / 11.00 / ... GOTOES always sets it to 13.01 / 12.01 / 11.01 / ... in the FIT File.
Could this be the reason why the values for training effort etc. are not accepted by GARMIN CONNECT?

Thanks and best regards,
D.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Upload - Training Effect & Benefit does not work

Post by fulmar2 »

Hi - You're the 2nd person who mentioned this. The issue MAY be related to the software version.. but I think that the serial number and selection of a Garmin Device are more important. The last several files I tested for people DID work with these 3 features, but I haven't tested on Garmin Connect for over a month now, and they may have changed something. Perhaps you can upload Screen Shots of GOTOES and Garmin Connect, as well as some FIT files for me to test. You can also message me using the contact form if you don't want to address this issue publicly.
DanMan204

Post by DanMan204 »

Hi,

thanks for your qucik reply!
Attached you will find some screenshots and the 2 fit-files (one original from Garmin and the one editetd with Gotoes).
As you will see, I´m able to upload the edited fit-file, but the Training effect fields are not overtaken (but weirdly they changed anyhow).
The issue with the software version seems to be fixed already.

Thanksa and best regards,
Daniel
Attachments
Original File.fit
Original fit file
(97.64 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
GOTOES files.fit
Gotoes generated fit file
(31.61 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Original fit file in Gotoes - inital values
Original fit file in Gotoes - inital values
Original fit file in Gotoes - edited values
Original fit file in Gotoes - edited values
Garmin Connect - training effect fields in original fit file
Garmin Connect - training effect fields in original fit file
Garmin Connect - original - training effect.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 391 times
Garmin Connect - software version in original fit file
Garmin Connect - software version in original fit file
Garmin Connect - training effect fields in Gotoes generated fit file
Garmin Connect - training effect fields in Gotoes generated fit file
Garmin Connect - Gotoes - training effect.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 391 times
Garmin Connect - software version in Gotoes generated fit file
Garmin Connect - software version in Gotoes generated fit file
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

I cannot seem to replicate this issue.

First, I took your GOTOES and original files and uploaded them to https://www.fitfileviewer.com. I could see that the values from your screenshots were correctly placed in the correct fields.

Correct Placement of Aerobic Training Effect and Anaerobic Training Effect.  Note that in the FIT spec, Aerobic Training Effect is called "total training effect."
Correct Placement of Aerobic Training Effect and Anaerobic Training Effect. Note that in the FIT spec, Aerobic Training Effect is called "total training effect."

Next, I took your GOTOES file that you uploaded to this forum, and uploaded it to my test Garmin Account. The values from the file were displayed correctly in Garmin Connect. Please note that I had trouble signing in to Garmin Connect for a while this morning; their site seems to have been down for a while. Maybe they were working on this issue? Regardless, given that we can clearly see the correctness of the GOTOES file in fitfileviewer, I surmise that this issue is on Garmin's end, not GOTOES. Please contact Garmin if this issue persists with your Garmin Account. Also, if they provide you with some information about what is going on, please report back here, as I would like to know. Thanks!

This is what I see when I upload your GOTOES file to my Garmin Test Account.
This is what I see when I upload your GOTOES file to my Garmin Test Account.
DanMan204

Post by DanMan204 »

Hi,

I also tested the files now with a another newly created test account in Garmin Connect. Like in your case it did work there.
But with my own real Garmin Connect account the upload of the training effect fields does still not work.
Same problem if I try with other edited training files: It does work in the test account but not in my real account. Very weird.

I will try to contact Garmin regarding this issue, I have no idea why this happens.

Thanks and best regards,
D.
DanMan204

Post by DanMan204 »

Hi,

short update:
Today I noticed that the upload of edited training effect & benefit values is only working if I delete the heartrate data out of the fit file via Gotoes.
If I upload the same fit file WITH heartrate the edited training effect & benefit values are not uploaded to Garmin Connect, instead the old ones or completey new ones are shown in Garmin Connect.

Seems like there is some calculation done during upload, at least in my Garmin Connect account.
In the test account everything works well with or without heartrate in the fit file.

Just wanted to share this with you :)

Best, D.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

Thanks. Great detective work! That is good information.

So, my first thought as a workaround is this:
Garmin allows “developer data,” which is a place for developers to add data fields of any type. In theory, one could add a “heart rate” DD field, transfer the real heart rate values from the native field into the DD field.

The above would solve your problem, and even show up on Garmin Connect. But it would have to be an “opt in” because it would confuse everyone else!

It would take a while to code this in, so maybe we can brainstorm a better workaround… and also, maybe you can find out from Garmin if there is a way to change this setting in your account.
Hegger

Post by Hegger »

Hey,

it's exactly the same for me. After import it shows random training effects but if I exclude heart rate it works. In my case it's a Fenix 7 and the software version in gotoes and on my watch are the same. Hope somebody finds an answer.

Cheers,
Thomas
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

Hegger - would you mind writing to Garmin as well? I think other people have experienced this too. I'd like to exculpate GOTOES... or figure out the proper way to include the information. If you use fitfileviewer, you can see that the information is in the correct location.

It may be that Training Effect is based on your Heart Rate (on the GPS as well as in Garmin Connect). Then, when you upload a file with Heart Rate, Garmin (by default) re-calculates the Training Effect based on the supplied Heart Rate and by comparing it with your training zones (the values that you specify in your Garmin Connect Profile). Normally, when you do an activity, the heart rate data and the Training Effect will match. If you go and override the Training Effect, however, maybe Garmin goes back and re-overrides it when you upload to GC.

If that is the case, then Training Effect is based on Heart Rate data, and it would be quite difficult for me to override unless Garmin decides to stop overriding themselves. I don't think I could write an algorithm to try and replicate their training effect values; it would have to change all of your heart rate values in order to work.

The only other solution (which is also kind of janky) would be to migrate the Heart Rate data into the developer_data field. If I did that, your file could be absent "native heart rate"... but you could still see the graph because it's in a field that Garmin wouldn't use for overriding training effect.

All this is pure speculation at this point, but if people reach out to Garmin to ask what is going on, I would definitely appreciate knowing in case I can fix this.
Hegger

Post by Hegger »

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried to reach out to them via chat. They just sent me a link to the third party connection site and then "unexpectedly" closed the chat. I think it is hard to reach them in general and specific a person who is able to help with that issue. I think i will just stick with the wrong calculation. Maybe its more accurate as it takes the power data into account while importing.