Planned Features for GOTOES | Strava Tools

This is where I can communicate my plans for future development of the tools. It is only editable by me; use the New Feature Requests Forum or the Contact Form to make suggestions.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Planned Features for GOTOES | Strava Tools

Post by fulmar2 »

I'm constantly in the process of adding new features. Here is a list of features I have in mind. Feel free to add Feature Requests to the Feature Request Forum.

Items with strikethrough are items that I have already implemented.
  • Add Ability for users to edit individual Trackpoints in a table format. Display their track on a map (the map will be Patreon supporters only to keep my Google map key usage from exceeding limits). 02/11/2021
  • Improve formatting of the options when using the Add Timestamp tool on small mobile screens. Right now, the options don't line up properly on small screens. 12/20/2020
  • Add Pace/Speed option on the Timestamp tool - this way, users don't have to convert between pace and speed if they are trying to enter in pace. 11/01/2021
  • Add the ability to look farther back in your list of Strava Activities (pagination of 10 items per page). 07/30/2021
  • Auto-trim button for overlapping activities - such as merging heart rate with speed data from a trainer. 11/07/2021
  • Improve reading of really big FIT files so people get fewer 500 errors. I've done a lot of work on this, and errors are very rare now - but I think I can still optimize it further to take less time and use less memory.
  • Make it easier to add Laps with the Edit Points Tool. Right now, the user has to do math to enter the distance and time of the lap. I plan to make it so you can just click and "add lap" button and the table will do the math for you. 09/08/2022
  • Look for a way to eliminate stopped time in a file so Strava displays the moving/stopped time in the way that the user wishes. 09/29/2022
  • Send a notification email when someone uses the upload to strava via email tool. The notification email will include the status of the upload so the user doesn't have to log in to get that information. 01/12/2021
  • Parse out the activity type from the subject line of email uploads. This will allow my tool to set the activity type based on what the user puts in the subject line. Not 100% sure I will do this; I'm looking for feedback from users on if they would like such a feature. 01/12/2021
  • Add a progress indicator to the 2nd page (the one you see after you have uploaded your files) so that people with really huge uploads won't have to stare at a blank page for several seconds (or even minutes). 10/25/2021
  • Add the ability to embed additional Garmin Data Fields (not talking about ConnectIQ - already did that). There are some native Garmin data fields such as left/right power balance that I'd like to add to the FIT file output. This tool was originally written for Strava, but many people are using it for Garmin Connect as well 11/04/2021
  • Make the Sorted Graphical Representation of the GPS files update when you delete points with the "Edit Points" tool.
  • Add the ability to upload a CSV file (in GOTOES format, which will be described) to create an a-la-carte FIT file that can be uploaded to various services.
  • Ability to delete multiple points in the edit points tool.
  • Quck-and-Dirty merge - this might allow people with complicated merges to just slap files together. The disadvantage will be that corrupted files will not be repaired, but the advantage would be that some of the "super-esoteric" fields would be retained (such as HRV).
  • Date/Time picker for finish time in the Add Timestamp tool. This should give precision if you use a flat rate of speed, however right now if you select the bike or run option, I can't see a way that a "finish time" picker will give precise results.
  • Cheat detector - some people complain that my tool can be used to cheat. I may add an interface that enables a user to upload a timestamped file and identify if it was manipulated with my tool or not. 08/20/2022
  • I may resurrect the Garmin->Strava import tool. I also may not; Garmin has made this very difficult - but not impossible.. also, this duplicates functionality already provided by Strava. 07/08/2022
  • Add a new tool so users can import their historical activities to Strava from a Spreadsheet. This tool will take one-line activity information and create manual activities. This will be a nice way for people to backfill Strava Activities. 02/19/2023
  • Update PHP version. May result in some performance improvements. 07/14/2023
  • Link the CSV tool straight to the Merger tool for people having trouble with multiple, enormous FIT files.
  • Diagnose the occasional (about 0.06% of uploads), random 500-errors that crop up. In particular, when the upload tool freezes - because I'm unable to send a helpful error message to the user. If your upload freezes more than once, PLEASE contact me with the file that is causing the freeze so I can fix this.
  • Smarter Trim - where a user can trim to a concatenation or a single block
  • Select all option so users can check or uncheck multiple boxes on the settings page
  • User Accounts (coming May 2024). This will allow users to save their settings cross-browser. Also, the Strava, Garmin, and Donation tokens will all reside in one location so users will not have to "click a link" in an email to set their cookies. I'll keep cookies, though, for user convenience as well as for unregistered users.
  • Bulk Export of single processed files. GOTOES can repair files, but sometimes people just want the repair and not the merge.