Add GPS locations to TCX from GPX/KML

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
marwis

Add GPS locations to TCX from GPX/KML

Post by marwis »

Sometimes my watch does not record GPS location but the resulting TCX file is otherwise complete with many trackpoints having distance, speed, cadence and heartrate, e.g.:

Code: Select all

<Trackpoint><Time>2023-08-18T19:02:44.944Z</Time><HeartRateBpm><Value>106</Value></HeartRateBpm></Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint><Time>2023-08-18T19:02:45.402Z</Time><DistanceMeters>100.921</DistanceMeters><Cadence>85</Cadence><ns3:TPX><Speed>3.61</Speed></ns3:TPX></Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint><Time>2023-08-18T19:02:45.944Z</Time><HeartRateBpm><Value>107</Value></HeartRateBpm></Trackpoint>
I happen to have GPS route in KML/GPX format and would like to add points from it into TCX.
Ideally the points would get their timestamps calculated based on speed recorded in TCX.

When I try to upload TCX+GPX to Combine Tool, it seems to completely ignore GPX file. Is this a bug?

If I use Add Timestamp tool then I have to provide desired speed and it will recalculate everything ignoring speed and timestamps from TCX (kind of makes sense for add timestamp tool). It will also discard heart rate.

Is this a supported scenario?
marwis

Re: Add GPS locations to TCX from GPX/KML

Post by marwis »

Forgot to mention GPX/KML track has no timestamps.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

Ah yes… you need to add the time stamps to the GPX first. Then it will show. This is the tool you need:

https://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

I re-read your question (was climbing on my bike when I first read it)… now I understand better. What you are asking is not supported by the tool (yet). I’m now trying to thing about two things:

1) Does anyone else have this scenario (to make it worth my time to add such feature) and…

2) How would I do this… it might need to be a separate tool. I do already have a « generate fake track » option, so I will have to see if maybe I can utilize that option to work with an existing GPX maybe….
marwis

Post by marwis »

fulmar2 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:22 pm I re-read your question (was climbing on my bike when I first read it)… now I understand better. What you are asking is not supported by the tool (yet). I’m now trying to thing about two things:
Thanks for taking the time!
fulmar2 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:22 pm 1) Does anyone else have this scenario (to make it worth my time to add such feature) and…

2) How would I do this… it might need to be a separate tool. I do already have a « generate fake track » option, so I will have to see if maybe I can utilize that option to work with an existing GPX maybe….
I kind of expected it to work when uploading tcx + gpx (resulting in either generated track for gpx or enrichment of tcx points with interpolated positions) but even a separate tool would be great too.