Choose Activity ID

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
Fightfabriken

Choose Activity ID

Post by Fightfabriken »

Hi
I did have problem when using my Garmin, eded up with 4 different run-activities. Want to combine to 1 activity. I do merge without problem. I can also upload to Garmin, however The activity ID is wrong and not detected by Garmin Coach. Is there someway to choose what ID the output file should have?
Thanks
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Choose Activity ID

Post by fulmar2 »

I am not exactly sure about Garmin coach… but a lot of these issues with Garmin Connect not registering activities properly has to do with the lack of a serial number and software version.

My advice is this:
First try exporting your file as TCX if you’re not a donor (FIT if you are). The tool should detect your serial number and software version and put it in the “override settings” area. If that doesn’t pre populate, make sure you enter a valid Garmin serial that matches the device type you select. Same for software version. Be sure to select a Garmin Device in the options as well.

If the TCX option does not resolve the problem, then Garmin is probably looking for FIT. If you become a donor, you can export FIT yourself. If you don’t want to donate, please upload your file here, and tell me the serial number, software version, and exact GPS name and I’ll make a FIT for you.
Fightfabriken

Post by Fightfabriken »

Yes, I have donated.
I do have 4 files and its the first file that is suitible with Garmin Coach. Meaning if I upload that to Garmin Connect the Coach section identify it. But merging the files and upload does'nt get identified by the coach section. I need to change the ID in the file. Is it some way to do it?
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

Hi - probably… but what is the “ID”? There are many fields I can add to a FIT file, but I’ll need to know exactly the field reference. Is there something unique about activities for “Garmin Coach?” Please forgive my ignorance about Garmin Coach. Once we identify the missing field, I can likely add it. Just to be sure, you already tried the FIT/Serial Number thing? So far on my experience, this has always resolved Garmin issues that require you to use a Garmin Specific device.
Fightfabriken

Post by Fightfabriken »

Ok I see.
The device is ok!

Garmin Coach gives me a training plan, and log my result in that plan. So, its like a activity with a specific ID or activity ID. I dont see that id in the file. If you want I can send you the original ZIP file and maybe you can find it? I've seen many people asking for this in different Garmin forums.

K.r
Erik
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

The activity ID is not created until you upload to Garmin Connect. You can upload a FIT file to this forum in a reply. I’m on a bikepacking trip, so it may be a while before I can get to this project - but I will try to investigate. Also, can you please clarify that you have tried the serial number, software, FIT options that I detailed above?
Fightfabriken

Post by Fightfabriken »

Yes. The Serial number and version is good.

Ok let me explain. The file 12267589385.... Is the correct on. When I upload that in to Garmin connect I get it logged as ...../modern/activity/12300457872

When I merge all the files I get another activity number and it will be logged as an activity in Garmin Connect but not in Garmin Coach training plan.
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2023-10-16 kl. 11.03.49.png
12267591003_ACTIVITY.fit
(191.31 KiB) Downloaded 860 times
12267592138_ACTIVITY.fit
(188.61 KiB) Downloaded 859 times
12267593131_ACTIVITY.fit
(146.33 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
12267589385_ACTIVITY.fit
(86.41 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

I understand all of that. What I am saying is this:

When you export from GOTOES, are you specifying the following settings:

FIT as file type
A Garmin serial number in the override serial
A correct software version in the override software?

I will try and look at your files when I have a computer. I’m on a bikepacking trip now and on the road, but in a few days, I should be able to test your files. I do not use Garmin Coach, so there may be more questions from me. Regardless, I emphasize that you try the 3 steps above as I am 99% sure that is what you are missing, and I have been asking in the last 3 correspondences.
Fightfabriken

Post by Fightfabriken »

Yes I have
But. Override with Serialnumber: 70W001479 gives me a grey watch in Garmin Connect, Why? I don't know
Version 14.68

Fit as files.

Doesn't work after I've tried all the steps you are telling me about. I really appreciate you are doing all this work for me!
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

That serial number does not look like a Garmin serial. Where did you get it from? Please use the Garmin Serial. You should not see a gray watch icon. You should see your device. When you see your correct device, I imagine that the Garmin Coach will also work.