Add a 2nd (second) Heart Rate Stream to a GPS Activity : SOLVED

A place for users to submit feature requests that may benefit from a public discussion. Otherwise, please use the contact form to write me directly with your feature requests.
WG1968

Add a 2nd (second) Heart Rate Stream to a GPS Activity : SOLVED

Post by WG1968 »

Hi,
first of all huge thanks for your great toolbox!

I wonder if it would be possible to add a second heart rate.
I train with a Garmin Fenix7 and usually use the wrist heart rate, which is fine for normal runs. Especially for intervals or hill training I also use a Polar H10 cheast heart rate monitor. I could just couple it with the Fenix and would get that heart rate - however, I´m interested in the comparison of both and sometimes the chest strap gives funny heart rates on other occasions the wrist-based is far off. The great thing about the Polar H10 is, that you can record the heart rate for one run without any additional device - so I get both, but in different files.

For a couple of runs, I combined the files with your tools and exchanged the Garmin heart rate with the polar heart rate measurements - resulting in one tcx file with the original Garmin heart rate measurements and one with the polar measurements. Those two files can be compared e.g. http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/
wrist_vs_cheast_heart_rate.png
red - Polar H10 herat rate
green - Gramin Fenix7 wrist heart rate

It would be more convenient to have the second heart rate in the same file, with could then be uploaded to e.g. Garmin Connect and differences could be shown like other overlays (e.g. Herat rate and pace).

I´m not sure if one could "simply" define a new stream heart rate two ... but I also thought about simply placing it in another (unused or not interesting existing field (e.g. cadence - is not very useful for running especially intervals on a track).

My knowledge is far from being able to judge, how much work this would be, and I´m aware that this use case is not very frequent.

Best
Winfried
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: 2nd Heart Rate

Post by fulmar2 »

You could use the CSV feature. I have one person who was using Strava’s temperature field to display wind data. You could put your heart rate data into the temperature field.

Step 1

Upload your FIT / TCX / GPX / CSV file to GOTOES here. Once your files is uploaded, go to the bottom of the second page and click "Download Raw Data"

Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 7.16.21 AM.png

Step 2

Now you have a GOTOES CSV file on your desktop with all of your data. Open this CSV with a spreadsheet tool such as Libre Office, Excel, or Google Sheets. Paste the secondary heart rate data that you want to compare into the "Cadence" field. FIT Files allow a cadence of (0 to 255), whereas temperature is (-127 to +127)... so I guess temperature isn't appropriate for accepting heart rate!

Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 7.16.55 AM.png

Step 3

Once you have made the changes to the spreadsheet, save the file and upload the CSV to GOTOES. Now you should have two heart rate streams in one file. Make sure that you leave the header as cadence...otherwise, one heart rate will overwrite the other. There is only room for one heart rate in a FIT / GPX / TCX file... meaning that you will have to look at the cadence graph when you're processing your data.

Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 7.32.01 AM.png