Associate map without movement data with manual data

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Add Time Stamps to FIT, TCX, or GPX Files Tool.
warpman

Associate map without movement data with manual data

Post by warpman »

Hello,
I find your work interesting and I came to your forum because with your program I almost got what I want: I'll explain myself better. I have numerous sports activities that I would like to record on Strava and of which I have date, start time, duration (therefore also end time); for some activities I also have heart rate and altimetry (barometric: they are recorded with a Polar device so many years ago). But I don't have the map for all these activities.
My goal is to create a map on Strava and associate the data of one of my activities with it: in this way I would have references on the climate of the day and a historical heatmap, I don't care about intermediate times or segments. Therefore, using your "Add Time Stamps to FIT, TCX, or GPX Files" program by inserting the map created with Strava (which has distance and elevation) and setting Activity Start Time, Desired Average Speed ​​and Use Elevation in Calculating Speed ​​= NO I can create an almost correct GPX file: all the data are right except for elevation which does not correspond to that of the original map (perhaps slightly different).
It would be even better and easier to associate the data of an activity to a map (whit no movement points) without necessarily having to use the Desired Average Speed parameter. I hope I've been sufficiently clear.
How to solve this?
Thank you.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Associate map without movement data with manual data

Post by fulmar2 »

Hi , and thanks for your message. What you are asking is impossible because Strava absolutely requires time-stamps in their files. If you upload a file without time, Strava will not accept it.

If you have a map, now you also have distance. Distance is not required (for indoor workouts), but your goal is to show a map... so therefore, your requirement is to show distance.

At this point, we have two required values: "Distance" and "Time"... from that, Strava is obliged to calculate Speed. Therefore, Speed becomes a required value.

When you enter a "Desired Average Speed" in my tool, the tool actually is not inserting speed; it doing the reverse of what Strava does - it is calculating Time and determining how much time to put in between each point. If you put a short amount of time between every point, the activity is "fast." If you put a long time between each point, the activity is "slow." That's all I can do; hopefully it helps you understand better how it works!
warpman

Post by warpman »

ok, I understand: so there is no way to preserve the elevation of the map maybe in a separate parameter that Strava could read?
or why the elevation is not correctly recalculate by your program ?
yet, I am convinced, that there are many Strava users who have the data but not the map and who would like to do like me..
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

Sorry, I thought you were concerned about the time, not the elevation. Please send me the file in question (you can attach it to this forum), and I can look to see if I can parse out the elevation from that particular file (and add that to my tool so it can read elevation). By the way, Strava can re-calculate the elevation profile for you. To do that, click on the Total ascent in your activity, a little button will pop up allowing you to "correct elevation". This alone may solve your issue, but I'm happy to look at your input file as well.
warpman

Post by warpman »

I searched for the button to change the elevation but I didn't find it on the Strava website or on Strava app.. I am attaching 3 files:

1. myActivity.gpx -> the original map created with Strava map tool (distance: 5.50 km, elevation: 44 mt).
2. convertedActivitybyYourTool.gpx -> the same map exported as GPX and converted by your program in order to respect distance: 5.50 km and time activity: 23m50s.. then re-imported it on Strava website, the distance: 5.51 km, time activity: 23m50s and elevation: decreased to 37mt.
3. myActivityExported.gpx -> Strava map imported after your program conversion and exported again.

If you have time to do some checking, thank you very much..
Attachments
activityToCheck.rar
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
fulmar2
Site Admin

Post by fulmar2 »

I'm sorry, I thought this was a different question at first. This question is best answered by this existing post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42

I hope that helps.