How to add "Grit", "Flow", and "Jumps" to your Strava Activity

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

How to add "Grit", "Flow", and "Jumps" to your Strava Activity

Post by fulmar2 »

Strava is a great platform, but they have been slow to adopt the display of newer Garmin Data Fields.

I've been working hard to bring Garmin Users more data fields that they can see in their Garmin Connect platform. It's a tedious process because I need to add one field at a time. It takes hours of coding to add each one because every type of field has different set of parameters. They scale differently, and some are sets of data whereas others are single values. Finally, each data field needs to be validated so that the user does not accidentally enter an impossible value - otherwise, they will end up with a corrupted FIT file - and they won't have an easy way to know why.

So, I added a new checkbox that arrives if you upload a file that has data that I've figured out how to "showcase" on Strava. This is that checkbox:

If you check the "Send to Strava" Checkbox AND your files have some data that can be showcased, you will get this checkbox that allows you to display the data in the "description" field on Strava.
If you check the "Send to Strava" Checkbox AND your files have some data that can be showcased, you will get this checkbox that allows you to display the data in the "description" field on Strava.

To make this work, you will want to be sure that you include "Rarely Used Fields" when reading-in your source FIT file(s) to GOTOES:

Make Sure you check the "Parse Rarely Used FIT Fields" checkbox when you import FIT files into GOTOES.
Make Sure you check the "Parse Rarely Used FIT Fields" checkbox when you import FIT files into GOTOES.

In order to see the checkbox, these conditions must be true:
  • You need to check the "Parse Rarely Used FIT Fields" checkbox when importing your FIT files to GOTOES.
  • You must be exporting as FIT file format from GOTOES.
  • You must have the "Send to Strava" box checked.
  • Your loaded files must have data to showcase. So far, that is Grit, Flow, and Jumps.

Here is what the data will look like on Strava if you elect to add this extra data:

This is what the extra data will look like once you upload to Strava.
This is what the extra data will look like once you upload to Strava.

After I see how this goes, I am hoping to add other types of data to the description field on Strava. Feedback about this feature is welcome in this thread!