Total Ascent Not Showing Correctly on Garmin Connect

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
GotoesUser

Total Ascent Not Showing Correctly on Garmin Connect

Post by GotoesUser »

I have used your app for a fair bit now, but I may not have noticed this before. Here is the Fulgaz.fit file (link obfuscated). When this gets
Uploaded to Garmin and when I look at it in Fit File Viewer it says the total ascent is 1834m when it should actually be about 910m. That is what gets sent directly to Strava from Fulgaz and what Fulgaz says in app. When looking at the record section of the fit file it shows my final elevation as 1834m, which is correct, but I started at around 900m.
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Total Ascent Not Showing Correctly on Garmin Connect

Post by fulmar2 »

Thanks for the information. This is good news (there ins’t a bug in the tool). I looked at the file that you sent me, and it does not have any information in the “total ascent” field. This means that when you upload the file to an app like Garmin Connect or Strava, they need to calculate the ascent. There are different methods of calculating the ascent - which is why the results differ.

For files that DO have total ascent embedded, you will see the checkbox in GOTOES to include it in your final file. Here is a screenshot of what it SHOULD look like if you have ascent embedded in the original file:

Please notice how both of these example files have the "ascent stream" embedded in the original file.  This tells the software how much climbing the GPS thinks you did.  Without this information, the software will be forced to calculate your ascent - and the calculations are often different from what the GPS originally stored.
Please notice how both of these example files have the "ascent stream" embedded in the original file. This tells the software how much climbing the GPS thinks you did. Without this information, the software will be forced to calculate your ascent - and the calculations are often different from what the GPS originally stored.
image001.png (45.89 KiB) Viewed 15396 times

Here is what your file looked like. Notice the absence of an ascent stream:

In the absence of an ascent stream, Garmin and/or Strava will calculate your ascent.  You can override that calculation if you fill out the "Override Total Ascent" box (as described in next paragraph).
In the absence of an ascent stream, Garmin and/or Strava will calculate your ascent. You can override that calculation if you fill out the "Override Total Ascent" box (as described in next paragraph).
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.18.41 AM.png (21.93 KiB) Viewed 15396 times

So, if you do not want for Garmin to recalculate your ascent, you can just have GOTOES override your total ascent. That is one of the features enabled by GOTOES FIT file export. In the screen shot, you can see, I typed in 910 meters as you want the final ascent to be. That is what Garmin will display.:

This is how you can override the total ascent to get the EXACT climbing you think is correct.
This is how you can override the total ascent to get the EXACT climbing you think is correct.

**NOTE: IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH ELEVATION ON AN INDOOR WORKOUT, THIS POST MAY HELP YOU
FIX THAT TYPE OF ISSUE.

Brian