Ride is jumbled after merge.

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Add Time Stamps to FIT, TCX, or GPX Files Tool.
GotoesUser

Ride is jumbled after merge.

Post by GotoesUser »

We are working on a ride from Ohio to Wash DC and have each days file completed. The files look good in Strava and Garmin. Some of the files join perfectly, but two jumble up and go from less than 100 miles each to thousands of miles. Another two files join out of order and create an added straight line between them. Any help is appreciated. Joe
image001.png
fulmar2
Site Admin

Re: Ride is jumbled after merge.

Post by fulmar2 »

Joe -

It looks like you have uploaded some "Course" files instead of "Activity" files. Course files are manually created and have timestamps that are artificially generated. Activity files are what you get when you push the "Start" button on your Garmin. With activity files, you can expect to have non-overlapping timestamps - unless you are using more than one Garmin Device at the same time.

So, here is how I fixed your issue.

First, the original problem:

In the image below, see how there are overlaps in your files? When File 3 (yellow) begins at 12:58AM, File 2 (orange) is still going. This means that all of these overlapping points will have occurred at the "same time" - and the track will zig-zag between these points until the overlap ceases.
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.57.21 AM.png
The Solution:

You will need to overwrite the timestamps. It is not possible for my tool to know the correct order of the files, but you should know that. If you name the files Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc... The tool will sort them by those names and put them in the desired order. The tool that does this is the Add Timestamps to GPS Files Tool. I uploaded your files to this tool, specified a start time of May 1, 2024 and an average speed of 10mph. These were arbitrary choices. I left the rest blank.

The resulting timeline is as follows:
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.58.04 AM.png
This looks good now! But I still found an issue with your map:
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 7.07.06 AM.png
See how there is a straight line near Pittsburgh? That means there is an issue with one or more of your files. Upon deeper investigation, I found out that Day 4 and Day 5 were actually duplicates... so when the track of Day 4 ended, it would go back to the same starting point as before (because 4 and 5 were duplicates)... so I left out Days 4 and 5 and got this:

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 7.15.44 AM.png
Looks like all you need to do is fix days 4 and 5 and then use the Add Timestamps to GPS Files Tool.. and your jumble will be gone. Hope that helps!