FAQ: Merging Trainer Files with GPS files (best practices)

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

FAQ: Merging Trainer Files with GPS files (best practices)

Post by fulmar2 »

I get a lot of correspondence about how to use the GOTOES GPS Tools to merge trainer files with GPS files. A common use of this tool is to do a Zwift, FulGaz, Rouvy, Wattbike, or PELOTON activity where the trainer records a certain set of data such as position and elevation (i.e. a map such as from Zwift)... but the GPS device records Heart Rate and Temperature or some other Advanced GPS Metrics (such as Left Right Power Pedal balance) that the user wants to merge into one single activity. This is all just an example; there are many situations where you might want to record data with two different devices and then merge them together after the fact.

Best Practice #1: Use the "Smart Trim" button:

The "Smart Trim" button appears when you have two overlapping files that look like they should be super-imposed (as opposed to concatenated). If you see the "Smart Trim" button, you should use it. This gets rid of the points at the start and finish where your two activities don't overlap. If you include these points in the final file, there is a possibility that the software you use to view the merged file will "burp." (because there are partially empty data points). I've seen this in Training Peaks and in Garmin Connect. Strava is more forgiving on this topic.

More details on this topic (including screen shots of how to use)

Best Practice #2: Use the "Use Speed" button:

Strava uses your distance traveled divided by the time to calculate your speed. This means that Strava is now IGNORING the speed values sent - even in FIT files. This would be fine for outdoor workouts, but for indoor trainer workouts, we sometimes observe some ugly speed graphs. There are two solutions to this problem:

The first speed solution is to use the "Use Speed" button:

The "Use Speed" button appears in the "Calculating Speed" box (only visible if you choose FIT or TCX as your export type). If you select this button, the page will reload and your distance will be recalculated from the speed instead. This MAY get rid of a jagged speed graph - assuming that your loaded files have speed in them. The browser will remember your preference so the next time you load files, speed will be used. Note that if your files don't have speed, this means you're going to get a zero distance - so please be aware of the risks. This helps work-around the Strava method of calculating speed from distance.

The Second speed solution to try is the "Generate Fake Track" checkbox:

This checkbox is only helpful if you're not including position data (i.e. no latitude/longitude... or if you don't have elevation data and you would like to override elevation.)

I have a detailed discussion on the fake track "workaround" that I created here (including screen shots of how to use)

Best Practice #3: Only select ONE distance stream!:

If you are merging overlapping files and you check two distance streams, you're going to get weird results! Depending on how the distances are tabulated in your files, you may get double the distance. Don't do it! Just check one distance stream.

Best Practice #4: Control your Moving / Elapsed Time:

If you tag your activity as a "race", Strava will show elapsed time as your moving time. If you have large gaps (like you stopped at a coffee shop for a long time... or maybe you took a ferry part of the way - and don't want to get "credit" for the ferry ride - make sure you use the "Ignore Big Gaps" feature to recalculate the distance. Play around with the "Try and insert Stopped Time" checkbox. This makes any non-moving interval of 30 seconds or greater into stopped time.

Best Practice #5: Export from GOTOES as FIT:

I know... it requires a donation, which not all of you are willing to do. But do consider that I've poured thousands of hours into this tool trying to help you out. Trying to bugger around all of Strava's nuances and bugs using a TCX file is going to waste a lot more of your time (and your time is worth money) than just using the FIT export feature. FIT export resolves a number of problems. For one thing, it gains you more control over your stopped time. FIT also lets you add more "in depth data". FIT also gets around the Strava GPS TYPE BUG. FIT export allows you to override the total distance and total climbing to make up for any GPS errors or quirks from combining your GPS files. If you donate via PayPal, you get an unlock code instantly via email. Don't forget to check your junk mail and to make sure that you have your proper email address on file with PayPal BEFORE you send the donation.

Best Practice #6: Get more in-depth data in your Export:

If your device records lots of extra data (the kind of data that Strava doesn't show, but Garmin Connect does), you can include it by checking the "Parse Rarely Used FIT fields" box when you're importing your FIT Files to GOTOES. This checkbox only appears if you are uploading FIT files to the tool.

In Addition to "native Garmin Fields" which are addressed by the topic above, you can also add in 3rd party data via the "ConnectIQ" checkbox. This checkbox appears as a stream whenever you upload a FIT file to the tool. You can check the box, and IF there are valid ConnectIQ fields in the file, they will be added to your FIT export. Note that Garmin Devices always record these 3rd party data fields correctly, but sometimes 3rd party app (such as Stryd) do not record the data correctly when using their phone app.