FORM Swim Goggles on Strava - Fixing Swim files with no distance or speed

A place for the community to help each other out with getting the most out of the Combine FIT, GPX or TCX files for Strava Upload Tool.
fulmar2
Site Admin

FORM Swim Goggles on Strava - Fixing Swim files with no distance or speed

Post by fulmar2 »

I had a user reach out to me saying that if he swims with the FORM Swim Goggles in pools that are shorter than 15m, none of the distance, speed or lap distance is recorded. I wrote a work-around on my tool for this admittedly unusual situation in the case that there are other users out there who have the same situation.

The tool was already designed to auto-calculate your pool distance. First, the tool looks to see if the pool distance field in your FIT file is populated. If that is empty (as in the case of FORM goggles), the next thing it does is look for your average speed. Normally, the tool can figure out the length of the pool from your average speed (by doing a D=R*T calculation), but if average speed is missing also (again encountered in the FORM goggles)... then the tool will give you a NEW OPTION where YOU supply the pool length. The tool can use that information to calculate your total distance, and average speed per pool length, effectively giving you speed graph on Strava. This all assumes that your device records the timestamps for each pool length. If that is missing also, we just don't have enough information to do anything!

STEP 1:
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 2.50.05 PM.png
Upload the FORM Goggle file to GOTOES. Notice the calculated distance when I supplied the information that this was a 50 meter pool.

STEP 2:
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 2.50.26 PM.png
Enter the correct pool length. In this case, I told the tool that the pool was 10m long. When I "click away" from the box, I'm prompted with a confirmation that the page will reload with the new distances. The tool will also save your pool length preference in your browser cookies so you won't have to enter it again. Note that the tool will auto-apply this length in future distance calculations if your files are missing pool length/average speed in the future.

STEP 3:
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 2.50.56 PM.png
You now have the recalculated pool distances. Please keep in mind that in order for your pace to show on Strava, you MUST have distance embedded in your file. If your file is missing distance, Strava will show your distance AND your speed as zero. This is because Strava ignores the speed field, and instead calculates your speed based on the distance you travel over time.

STEP 4:
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 7.32.49 PM.png
If your source file is also missing distance in the laps, you will want to click the "recalc" button in order to re-calculate the lap distances. This will take existing laps and re-apply the time/distance to the correct values. You will probably only want to use this feature if you have empty distance values, which was the case with the FORM goggles.

FINAL RESULTS: BEFORE:
This is what the original file from the Goggles looked like
This is what the original file from the Goggles looked like

FINAL RESULTS: AFTER:
This is what the swim activity looks like after processing using GOTOES.
This is what the swim activity looks like after processing using GOTOES.

This should fix your FORM Goggle file, but if you need some further tweaks, consider selecting the "Generate a Fake Track" option. This option helps with indoor workouts that you post to Strava by creating a fake map out in the ocean. This is a technique that companies like Zwift have resorted to with the intent of getting Strava to show the activity stats correctly.